Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Dream Begins

Right now I have 10 months left to make my year-delayed vintage. Ten months to become fluent in Italian. Ten months to learn the contadino art. Yet here I am in New York, hustling work during the holidays. At times it seems daunting. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? How did my life get so complicated?

It starts in 1995. Sally has been invited to teach landscape photography at the Toscana Photo Workshop near Montalcino, home of the greatest Italian red wine besides Barolo. Though I’ve long been an oenophile, and know about it from my neighbor, Robert Parker, the wine critic,

Brunello di Montalcino is not a wine whose taste I am acquainted with. Yet. So, while Sally teaches, I will work on a novel in mornings, sometimes model for her class,

and visit the Brunello vineyards Robert recommends to sample and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment